The ancient Roman statesman, Marcus Tullius Cicero, said: "There is no place more delightful than one's own fireplace."
Thousands of years later, despite all the bad publicity and misinformation concerning masonry fireplaces, this still rings true for many of us.
If you're looking for an alternate heating source for your home, you would probably be disappointed with the installation of a masonry fireplace (instead, see our page on Masonry Heaters).
However, if you're one of the trillions of people, who, throughout the centuries, have been warmed just by thinking about an open fire, here are a few things to keep in mind.
A masonry fireplace:
- Gives you a touch of craftsmanship, authenticity and timeless elegance you want for your home.
- Adds value to your home.
- Gives off cozy, radiant heat that warms body and soul.
- Uses a renewable resource (wood), unlike gas, oil and electric.
- Offers flexible design options — brick, stone, stucco, cultured stone.
A masonry fireplace built by Hickory Mountain features:
- State of the Art design since 1798 (Rumford).
- Design proven to reflect radiant heat into the room.
- Top-sealing damper that seals tight when closed.
- An insulated firebox to keep cold out, and maximize the radiant heat back into the fire and you!
So, if you're looking to add warmth to your home, rest assured that a properly constructed masonry fireplace can do that.
Dedication for a Fireplace
This hearth was built for thy delight,
For thee the logs were sawn,
For thee the largest chair, at night,
Is to the chimney drawn.
For thee, dear lass, the match was lit
To yield the ruddy blaze —
May Jack Frost give us joy of it
For many, many days.